Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

A Soldier for Film

Film has always bridged a wide array of gaps and facets in my life. Whether it ignited a passion (mob movies such as The Godfather- I love stories of family, whether born in to or made); helped me see a different perspective (I viewed a film named Ajami at a film festival a few years ago about young lives in Tel Aviv that really opened my eyes to a differing way of life); got my creative juices flowing (Sofia Coppola’s vision and direction in Lost in Translation); or simply allowed me to escape the realities of the world for 90 minutes or more (I adore Judd Apatow for his genius in this arena); film has always been my gateway to another world or way of thinking. Projects, in particular documentaries, are specifically designed to take the viewer somewhere new and unexpected while shedding a light on something the filmmaker is passionate about.

http://armylive.dodlive.mil/index.php/2010/06/independence-day-greetings-from-combat/
When I came across the speech of Deborah Scranton at the 2007 TED conference, I viewed it simply to fulfill my own selfish enjoyment of hearing a female filmmaker talk about her experiences in the industry but was blown away by her project War Tapes. As a military kid I have lived that unique lifestyle of growing up on bases, watching loved ones be deployed and being raised by one parent as the other was in a war zone and I have therefore always been sympathetic and extremely emotional to the stories of the military and war. Scranton is able to connect with her audience, whether seated in front of her, in the movie theater or from her oversized chair in her Colorado office in front of the computer, and show them a rare glimpse in to the life of American soldiers during the war in Iraq. Her “film from the inside out instead of the outside in” approach put the cameras, not in the hands of the media or filmmaker, but the soldiers themselves and gave a never before seen perspective into the horrors of war. The shaky camera and the terrifyingly unexplainable sounds in the distance made the audience feel like they were on the front lines. The profanity, blood and machismo all added to the realness being unfolded. The gripping images that exploded on the screen moved me to tears while Scranton's voice cracking as she spoke of these soldiers so warmly and genuinely sympathetically drove me to fits of sobs. 

Scranton built a relationship with these soldiers living in an unforgiving and deadly place and it was evident in her end product. The military is very protective of its image and very wary of the media but she gained their trust through correspondence, a listening ear and most importantly, patience. There was no exploitation, only reflection and examination. That she was able to do this at all is something profound but accomplishing it as a woman is astounding and inspiring. 

Filmmakers have a responsibility to their audience and their subject that can be so often forgotten or abused. Scranton takes her role as storyteller of an untold or socially manipulated tale with a sense of integrity very seriously and you can hear it in her voice. This film was not designed to be a clever PR piece or publicity stunt. She gave these soldiers a voice and an opportunity to allow the world to see their side; the good, the bad and the horrific. These soldiers changed her life and she is passionate about putting this film in front of others so that they may have the same experience. In the last minutes of her speech, she calls the American public to action. No more blind support and ignorance. There are ways to help and things to be done and that to me is the beauty of film. That something I feel is my passion and cause can be put in front of the masses to share in an experience. While I appreciate my 90 minutes of mindless bliss with a good romantic comedy, film can also change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment